Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Day the Music Died

My honeymoon is over.

I listened to Obama’s first post-election press conference and cringed.

OK, I am sorry his grandmother died, but I had no idea he was bereft of his English grammar as well as his Hawaiian one..

“There will be a serious discussion between myself and the president.”

“They generously invited Michelle and I.”

“Reiterate once again"

“Enormity”

“Sooner rather than later”

And although this is not a grammar or usage issue, I still can’t believe he said, “I want to move with all deliberate haste.”

You could hear him almost say “speed,” meaning he knew full well the odious nature of the phrase, and the internal contradiction he conveyed that he does not want to move at all on whatever the issue was (the economy?)

For younger readers, the 1955 Brown v. Board of Education II case ordered desegregation of schools “with all deliberate speed,” meaning none at all.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:18 PM

    We haven't heard him pronounce 'nucular' yet though!! :)



    Brian F

    ReplyDelete