They are like the people who call health care for all a socialist un-American plot but who warn politicians not to touch their Medicare. They are like the young TV station employee I read about today who, upon looking at Walter Cronkite's coverage of the JFK assassination, asked, "Where was the 'live' bug?"
Here is a thumbnail of his legislative career.
- Voting Rights Act and extensions
- Ban on poll taxes
- The Teacher Corps (now defunct, but partially replaced by Teach for America)
- Liberalizing laws for non-European immigrants
- Fair Housing Act
- Title IX
- The Equal Rights Amendment
- Lowering of Voting Age from 21 to 18
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Health care portability (Kennedy-Kassebaum law)
- Medicare Part D (prescription drug benefits)
- No Child Left Behind Act
- Minimum wage increases