Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Kaine Not Able

I’m just shocked, shocked that politicians are deaf to the stupid things they say. I still haven’t quite figured out that they may actually believe them.

This posting is not about former Wisconsin Gov., and former HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson, who told a Jewish audience that for the first time in his life he is in the private sector and "earning money," which, is, after all, “part of the Jewish tradition.”

No, it is about a politician I admired until yesterday, the moderate Democratic governor of Virginia, Tim Kaine – a regular guy whose open faith (he was a Catholic missionary) has informed his public policy in progressive ways. I didn’t hear the exact question, due to the acoustics of a live television press conference, but regarding the necessary gun control debate in a state with some of the loosest regulations in the country, he said, “I think that people who want to take this within 24 hours of the event (the Virginia Tech massacre) and make it their political hobby horse to ride ... I’ve got nothing but loathing for them.”

Had I the opportunity, I would have asked but one question: “How many hours after the event would they be less loathsome than a politician who flies halfway around the world so he can appear to managing a crisis for which he has no expertise?"

Even the dumbest, most evil-hearted man in the world could come up with a better answer than Kaine, and Bush did: “I think when a guy walks in and shoots 32 people it’s going to cause there to be a lot of policy debate. Now is not the time to do the debate until we’re actually certain about what happened and after we help people get over their grieving.”

Not the best answer, but a better one than Kaine's.

No comments:

Post a Comment