One of them is that 95 percent of all adults have had premarital sex. In a bit of an understatement, one nongovernment expert calls the Bush Administration's effort to promote abstinence-only sex education up till age 29 (which is younger than before George and Laura were married) "extremely challenging."
The survey of self-reported slippage from Biblical norms involved tens of thousands of people over half a century. Some of the details can be read here.
The silliness of the right-wing bedroom Keystone Kops does offer this opportunity to reprint a very old, but still relevant, piece of commentary you have probably read before, author unknown, but very insightful:
The Differences Between Republicans and Democrats
* Democrats buy most of the books that have been banned somewhere. Republicans form censorship committees and read them as a group.
* Republicans usually wear hats and almost always clean their paint brushes.
* Republicans employ exterminators. Democrats step on the bugs.
* Democrats name their children after currently popular sports figures, politicians and entertainers. Republican children are named after their parents or grandparents, according to where the money is.
* Democrats keep trying to cut down on smoking but are not successful. Neither are Republicans.
* Republicans tend to keep their shades drawn, although there is seldom any reason why they should. Democrats ought to, but don't.
* Republicans study the financial pages of the newspaper. Democrats put them in the bottom of the bird cage.
* Republicans raise dahlias, dalmatians and eyebrows. Democrats raise Airedales, kids and taxes.
* Democrats eat the fish they catch. Republicans hang them on the wall.
* Republican boys date Democratic girls. They plan to marry Republican girls, but feel they're entitled to a little fun first.
* Republicans sleep in twin beds . . . some even in separate rooms. That is why there are more Democrats.